bareFTP is a file transfer client written for Linux desktops, available under the terms of
the GPL license. It supports the FTP, FTPS and SSH (SFTP) protocols. bareFTP is written in C#
for the Mono framework, using Gtk# for the user interface.
bareFTP is still a young application. Lots of planned features are still missing, but the
bare basics start to fall into place.
Why yet another FTP client?
No special reason or need. I know - we have lots of them already. This is just
my hobby project, and I was never really happy with the look'n feel
of any of the FTP clients for the GTK/GNOME desktop.
Does it work on Windows?
I have no idea. Probably not, but maybe in the future.
Credits and Acknowledgements
bareFTP is influenced by a number of projects.
bareFTP's basic FTP design was initially influenced by edtFTPnet by EnterpriseDT
, but has later taken a
different direction. And of course... I have to mention gftp
It is an excellent ftp client, but appears rather abandoned, which is partly
the reason I started this project.
Huge thanks to the authors for making such great open source software!
I have tried to keep references to the original copyright holders in
the source files that are more or less borrowed from other projects.
- Supports the FTP protocol in active and passive mode
- Supports FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) (control connection and optionally data connection)
- Supports SFTP via the SSH protocol
- Supports distributed PASV (PRET)
- Resume and append
- Multithreading. You can continue browsing while transfer is in progress
- Multiple simultaneous transfers (FTP)
- Bookmarks with secure password storage using Gnome Keyring
- Drag and drop
- A native GTK/GNOME look and feel (still needs some more love..)
- Secure passwords storage using Gnome Keyring
- Catalan (ca): Sergi Mansilla
- German (de): Daniel Päßler
- Greek (el): Petros Kyladitis
- Spanish (es): Julio Napurí Carlos
- French (fr): Simon Leblanc
- Hungarian (hu): Adam Pongracz
- Italian (it): Gianvito Cavasoli
- Japanese (ja): Cahell Hide
- Norwegian (nb): Christian Eide
- Portuguese Brazilian (pt_BR): Alexandre Cavedon
- Polish (pl): Filip Chabik
- Russian (ru): Алекс
- Swedish (sv): Niclas Kroon
I am Christian Eide, just an ordinary guy living in Trondheim, Norway.
You can drop me an email at .
You can also follow me on twitter